Sunday, August 29, 2010

Running Update

This week has been rough when it came to my running.  I got a little behind on my weekly runs that allow me to add 1 mile to the "long run" on Saturday each week.  I tried both Friday and Saturday mornings to get in the two 4 miles runs I had missed.  Each time I made it about a mile before I felt sick, light headed, a side ache like I'd never had before, throbbing knees, and fighting to catch my breath.  Each time I got about 2 miles out of my body, but only with some walking.

I was feeling so depressed.  Saturday morning on my long walk home after my failed attempt to run I cried to myself thinking I'd just have to give up because if I couldn't do 4 miles there was no way I'd be able to do 13.1 in a short 6 weeks.  I text Marcel when I made it home safe that I couldn't run anymore.  He sent back "sad day."  He was at a church work party and didn't have time to text, but I needed comforted and that wasn't enough. 

I told him that I was so depressed and discouraged because I couldn't remember the last goal I had set for myself.  In all honestly, it was probably school-related and I've been done for over 2 years, and here I was telling everyone about this goal and now I was going to fail at it.  Talk about embarrassment!

Today around 2:30pm Marcel left our house to head back to church for the Worship Night, which I decided to skip for a few reasons, but mainly because I had already pushed my long run from Saturday to Sunday.  I slept from the time he left until 5pm, ate something while icing my knees and then started my 7 mile run.  Perfectly for me, that church is exactly 7 miles from our house, so I text Marcel that I thought I'd be there just about the time he was getting done and started on my way.

It was a hard run.  I did decide to wear my knee brace which probably helped but both my knees still hurt.  It was also hard because once I got past my normal route I didn't know the splits I should be making in my time (which I decided is very motivating for me).  But I got to church in 71:13.  After my 6 mile run last week, I posted on facebook that I was hoping for 7 miles in 70:00, but I'm very proud of my time.  I did even have to stop and tie my shoe (I am going to try to always double knot them from now on) and also adjust my knee brace.  I'm telling myself that without those 2 stops it would have been 70:00. 

Now I can't wait for the big day on 10/10/10 (if I can figure out how to register for it) which is 6 weeks away from today.  That also means my 25th birthday is just 4 weeks away!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girly you are doing so great! We all have rough runs and great runs... and 7 miles in 71 is SO GREAT!!!!
    You are going to kick butt in your race. Something I learned in mine is to not try to keep up with anyone, a TON of people passed me in the beginning, and when I hit the turn around point I started passing them. Run with yourself, for yourself! And it is going to feel SO AMAZING when you cross that finish line no matter how long it takes you. It is a super empowering experience and you should be so proud and happy to be able to say you can go out and run 7 miles now or any day of the week.
    YOU GO GIRL!!!

    ReplyDelete