Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Cruise: Great Stirrup Cay

We were finally in the Bahamas!!  We spent the first day at Norwegian's private island: Great Stirrup Cay.  If I could pick any place to live, I'd pick here (except for the fact that I'd have to learn to fish and actually eat seafood so I didn't starve).  It was so beautiful.  I almost could have done without Nassau for an extra day here.

We took a tender boat from the cruise ship to the island because they don't dock the boat at the island. It stays just anchored in the middle of the ocean.

I love getting pictures of welcome signs and this was a place I was glad to be welcomed to!

We found a spot for our stuff and then took a walk along the beach before braving the water.  I love the artistic photos Marcel takes!

I was expecting really warm water, but it really wasn't.  It took some time to get used to it, just like in a swimming pool, but at least with a swimming pool you can just jump in the deep end and avoid that whole process.  If you just stayed in the water it actually got pretty warm (especially considering we've only ever swam at the Oregon Coast!)

After getting wet and used to the water, we got out :) and headed to the rental station for some snorkel gear.  I was very afraid I wasn't going to be able to snorkel.  I knew going in that I can't go completely under water because if my breathing tube gets full of water, I inhale it.  I had a hard time keeping my mouth completely around the mouthpiece and had to stop a lot more than Marcel to keep from drinking water, but I still figured it out!

This is what we saw of the island while snorkeling

and this was behind us

One of the fish we probably saw the most of. SO EXTREMELY thankful for the waterproof camera/video recorder we got for Christmas.  I'm so glad we were able to record what we saw with more than just the waterproof disposable cameras, especially considering all the photos we have that didn't turn out very well!

This is when we got out of the water for our parasailing appointment.  We were supposed to leave at 11:00am so when we got there at 10:55 to find out the boat had already left, we were both very upset.  Even when we were able to be rescheduled, it took us awhile to let go of the upset feelings and just enjoy paradise.  It did allow us to be first in line for lunch.  There were so many choices!

And eventually we were:

Since we had 2 days in the Bahamas, we each picked 1 excursion.  I picked parasailing and I didn't care if we did it at the island or in Nassau, but Marcel's excursion was only in Nassau, thus parasailing in Great Stirrup Cay.


Thanks to that wonderful waterproof camera we were able to take pictures from the top, while someone in the boat recorded our flight, with our other camera.

Isn't this the most beautiful picture?  Yes, it could probably be zoomed and cropped and enhanced in photoshop, but I won't do that.  This is actually what it looked like when we were 400 feet up overlooking the Bahamas.

After coming down from the ride of a lifetime

After parasailing, we took advantage of our all-day snorkel rentals and headed back out to see more creatures.  This is when we got brave and went all the way around the big rock and out by the other side of the beach.  



The water was colder as we swam back in away from where everyone was sitting.  I had to keep my arms tucked in and rely on my legs to move.  I was freezing, but had to remind myself 4 things: 
1) it was only February
2) it was still warm enough to even be in the water 
3) it wasn't raining
4) who knows when we'd be back here

Besides it was on this side that we saw a stingray, which was so much more exciting than all the fish

You should have seen the crowd of people to take a picture at this rock on our way into the island.  We waited until the day was done and had it nearly to ourselves.  Just enough people so that someone could take it for us!

Back on the tender boat headed for the cruise ship!

We found another towel animal

After we got showered and ready for the night on the ship, we headed up to the Spinnaker Lounge for some Bingo.

See, here's our cool boards!  Too bad we didn't win anything :(

I guess we didn't eat dinner this night :)

But we did see another amazing production about colors!  It was probably my favorite.

The best day of our trip :)

No comments:

Post a Comment