Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Redemption

Saturday I was supposed to run 11 miles.  Marcel taught me a cool thing about mapquest (something I wish I would have known about weeks ago) to find me an 11 mile route, because it is a waste of gas for him to drive me 11 miles from home and then back again.  I was upset when he said that, but it is true and gas is an expense we can't seem to cut back on, even when we try diligently!

We had spent the day at my mom's so I drove home and got changed and ready to go and headed back to my mom's, where my route started from.  Once I got there I realized I had forgot Marcel's watch (he calls it the watch).  I went on my way.  Oh, I should go back a few hours and say that I hadn't been feeling 100% and had been very sluggish all week.  I had NO energy to go out and run 11 miles, but I was supposed to, so I did.

Well, I tried.  I got 3 miles down the road and called Marcel to come pick me up.  I was hurting.  Weird stabbing pains, but not like normal side-aches.  I don't know what my problem was.  It was disheartening.  I felt like a failure.  It made me question my ability to succeed in my race.

Sunday, instead of trying again, I did my mom's elliptical.  It was a nice change.  It still kicked my butt, but gave me a nice break from the running.  Plus, I should also mention, that when I sacrificed my time on the 10 mile run to fix my knee brace, it may have come too late because my knee hurt the next day, like try with every fiber of my body not to limp.

Today I am back!  I ran my normal 3 mile route, actually my old route because I don't know the last time I did my 3 miles over that route.  If I remember back to when I did run it more frequently, I believe it is a little short of 3 miles (I'm thinking 2.8) but either way I'm still so proud of my time: 21 minutes 36 seconds.  I'm not trying for a time on 10/10/10 but to see so much improvement in my "sprint" times was the motivation I needed after Saturday!

And just one lesson learned today, more like an observation made:
I am so excited to not have to run with my cell phone and house key on the day of my race

1 comment:

  1. That is an awesome 3 mile time!!!!! I totally know that feeling when you just can't go the full length..ugh..it stinks. But just keep going!! You can do it :)

    ReplyDelete