Sunday, May 23, 2010

4 years

It was on May 22nd, 2006 that Marcel and I started dating. We didn't know it on that day, but once we had decided that we were "officially" dating, we both agreed that May 22nd would be our anniversary. In early stages of wedding planning, so early in fact that we weren't actually engaged, we talked about getting married on that day so that we'd have the same anniversary for forever, but other things prevented that from happening: like my step-sister's high school graduation and the small fact that Marcel would be graduating from Pacific the next day.

I have read that to keep passion and excitement in your marriage, you should celebrate all of the milestones: first date, dating anniversary, date of your first kiss, etc, and while I like that idea it's hard to put into practice when our 2 anniversaries are just 8 days apart. I did however hope that the day would never fall from my brain. I was nearly unsuccessful in that. It was 11:30pm and Marcel & I were in bed, him trying to sleep and me wide awake, because I'd rather be talking (Emily and I used to do the same thing, go to bed more tired than we could imagine yet still stay up talking for hours) when I realized it has now been 4 years that we've been together. We talked about the early, pre-dating days. How Marcel saw me as a challenge because of my shyness, because I seemed far from interested in him yet somewhat intrigued by him. Turns out he could read me even back then because I really tried to not like him because he seemed to be so far from the guy I had been waiting for, but really did like him!

Our 4 years have been a roller coaster like should be expected, but I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the ride! And now we're just 1 week away from our more official anniversary, the one the marks our time spent as husband & wife, the one that means more to me than anything, even sacrificing the memory of our dating-date if that's what it comes to!

There are a few earlier pictures of us in our dating years, but this is the oldest one I have on my computer. Marcel took me to the airport for my trip back to Idaho on my first summer of staying in Forest Grove.
July 9, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment