Wednesday, February 17, 2010

C25K

I believe it was Saturday when I noticed on a friend's facebook that her and her husband had just completed day 2 of week one of the C25K. I had THOUGHT about doing it awhile ago, with enough thinking about it that I had enough information on it to remember that C25K stands for Couch 2 5K! It turns couch potatoes into 5K runners.

A little backstory, mainly for the journal part of this blog: for as long as I can remember, especially since we've been married, Marcel and I have had big plans for exercising, but it never really comes to be. He was doing really good leading up to the wedding, but then graduation, wedding and honeymoon slowed him down. I had a gym membership from working at a gym and NEVER used it (well, I think I might have walked on the treadmill 2-3 times while reading a book, not much exercise!) After dealing with the kids at work all night, which came after being at BR all day, when I got to clock out I was ready to be home. One of the many things that I did take away from the gym was that if all those parents can make time for exercising, I should have no excuse. Most weeks I wasn't working full-time, had no kids with school, sports, church activities, the list could go on and on. I knew that if we didn't make it a priority now, while we are kid-less, we'd have a very hard time keeping it in our schedule with kids.

So, together Marcel and I have now completed 2 days of our first week in C25K. I am embarrased to say that on Monday (Day 1), we both almost died. It's not much running (week 1 has 8 sets of a 60 second run and a 90 second walk), but it was very difficult. Today, however, was already a lot better. Don't get me wrong, it was still hard, but the kind of hard that you want exercising to be. Even after just 2 days, it already feels so good to be back to exercising. I may have to find some weight training exercises to do at home (no gym membership in this budget!) on the off days for a more balanced regimen.

It feels so rewarding to do this with Marcel. I was so exhausted today after getting up at 4:15am for work that all day until when I picked Marcel up from another day of subbing, I was hoping that he'd offer to skip today (you just have to do 3 days a week) and that I'd happily agree. However, once we were together and catching up on life, I felt like I couldn't let him down. Oh, and I do have to add, that this running would not be possible without Marcel's musical abilities. We found a "music" track that has a narrator telling you when to walk, when to run, when you are done. And with a program (Garage Band) on his computer he was able to lay it over actual music, that is very fast-beat, good exercising music. I want to make the next week's playlist to learn the program, but he set the bar so high, mine could never compare.

For all those readers hoping for a Bailey Baby take note:
This new priority on exercise in no way means we are ready or trying for kids. It is simply something for us to do together, to get healthy together, and to support each other together!!!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for exercise! That is so good you are doing it together. Are you going to do a 5k... or just starting to run together so you can do one? If you are doing one which one?!?!?
    PS like the baby disclaimer... anxious grandparents to be huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That's so cool!! I think exercise is a great thing to do together. Colin and I have trained for a few runs together. It's so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't made any specific plans for a 5K, but would love to do one sometime after these 9 weeks. Really for now just an attempt to get our butts (well actually our whole bodies!) in shape.

    Only 2 days in, but we have loved doing it together!

    Oh, and there are not only very anxious grandparents-to-be, but also aunts-to-be! really my whole family, extended family included :)

    ReplyDelete