Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend of Major Accomplishments

It has been a very event filled weekend at our house this weekend, and a very successful one at that!

Saturday, Marcel had a marching band competition with Skyview High.  I went and enjoyed watching them.  They seemed to do well, but I'm far from the person to ask!  He was very pleased with their performance but like he always does (and like you'd want any coach to do) he knows exactly what to work on this week before the big district competition this coming weekend.  His band earned this:
He was so proud and very grateful for his mentor teacher to tell other directors that he deserved the credit
Sunday was my big race.  My first half-marathon!  I was a little worried after picking up my packet on Saturday and seeing so many professional looking runners.  I told my mom I should have signed up for a casual half-marathon.  I was also a little worried about my eating schedule, because each Saturday on my big runs I would get up and eat 1/2 bagel and a banana and 1 hour later start running.  It was working out!  But today, I got up at 6:45am but didn't have to run until 9am.  It worked out just fine, thanks to the semi-delicious gel they were handing out at mile 6!  The official clock said my time was 2:28:14, which is about 11:20/mile, which I am more than pleased with.  I didn't have to walk, but did stop 4 times to adjust my knee brace which I don't count as stopping.  I may have been faster but a cut on my heel I discovered this morning turned into a HUGE blister that even popped on its own.  Trying to keep myself from thinking about that was the hardest part of the run.  I had a hard time between mile 9 and 10, but after that I was full of adrenaline about being so close to finishing. The weather was PERFECT, sunny but not too warm, with the last 3 miles just about completely in the shade. 

Arriving at the race

Marcel took this wonderful picture of me coming out of the bathroom, and as weird as it is, I think it is so funny so I had to include it
Still full of smiles BEFORE the race
2:28:14 later!

Supporters waiting for me at the finish line!
Marcel has been SO supportive these last 3 months.  Whenever I have wanted to quit, he was there to remind me how hard I had already worked and how upset I'd be with myself if I truly did quit.  It feels SO great to be so deeply encouraged and loved by him!

No comments:

Post a Comment